Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Most Excellent Music of 2006

I know this is, um, 17 days late, but I finally got around to making a top 10 list of my favorite albums of 2006. One of my professors (the inimitable David Levithan) is conducting his 8th Annual Music Poll, and asked a bunch of people to submit their Top 10's of '06. Here's what I sent him:

1) The Decemberists, The Crane Wife
2) M. Ward, Post-War
3) Comets on Fire, Avatar
4) Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins, Rabbit Fur Coat (Fun Fact: Lewis starred in The Wizard.)
5) The Black Keys, Magic Potion
6) The Hold Steady, Boys and Girls in America
7) Bob Dylan, Modern Times
8) Belle & Sebastian, Life's Pursuit
9) Cat Power, The Greatest
10) Sonic Youth, Rather Ripped

If reissues counted, I totally would have put the deluxe edition of Pavement's Wowee Zowee at #1. If you think there are any glaring omissions from this list, please let me know (and don't say Regina Spektor). If you want to read what a total clown thought were the best albums of 2006, please visit Kayvon's page.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cat Power, Belle & sebastian, Jenny Lewis? lame-o 3000

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is concerning Kayvon's biggest letdowns: Did he really expect a lot from the Curious George Soundtrack?

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fairly solid list. I don't know about Bob Dylan and Jenny Lewis (I confess I have not heard either album) but everything else is top notch.
Here's a few you missed. If you haven't heard them, buy them. If you have heard them and deliberately didn't include them on your list...you may need to reassess your taste.
1)Peter Bjorn and John -- Writer's Block
2)Sunset Rubdown -- Shut Up I am Dreaming
3)TV on the Radio -- Return to Cookie Mountain
4)Islands -- Return to the Sea
5)Snowden -- Anti-Anti

I feel like I'm forgetting a bunch but that's all I can think of right now.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home